Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Do you want to make products that help people think better?
reMarkable is a Norwegian tech company on a mission to help people think better in a distracted world. In what feels like no time at all, we've gone from a small startup to one of the fastest-growing tech scaleups in Norway. Following the successful launch of reMarkable 2, which was named one of TIME's top 100 inventions of 2020, and our new subscription service, Connect, in 2021, we've set exciting growth and product development goals for the coming year. To help us get there, we need new colleagues ready to make a real difference through their work – which is where you come in.
About the role
As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer at reMarkable your main focus will be geared towards maintaining and developing our Linux kernel, boot loader and BSP. You have a passion for doing bring-up of new electrical devices and prototypes, getting them to work and integrate them into our embedded environment. You have a good understanding of how the inner guts of the Linux kernel works, and are already familiar with some of the driver subsystems, and how to debug them.
You will be a part of the unit responsible for developing and maintaining low-level software for our current and future products. You will be working closely together with other domain experts in a cross-functional team, contributing to solving complex problems in a high-paced environment.
- Maintenance and development of our Linux kernel, boot loader and BSP.
- Participate in planning, shaping of requirements specification, and development on both new and existing products.
- Development of user-space software for our custom Embedded Linux distribution; Codex
- Work with manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, industrial designers, mechanical engineers, internal and external hardware developers, and other software engineers.
- Evaluate, implement and research electronic components for new and existing products from a software perspective with a focus on availability, price, and quality.
- Testing, automation, and validation of electronics in reMarkable products, ensuring that they meet requirements defined by reMarkable, industry standards and certifications.
- Support and collaborate with application developers and QA engineers to solve complex bugs and provide new and existing functionality to existing and future products.
- Technical best-practice documentation and sharing knowledge and expertise internal at reMarkable.
- Maintain and improve our software build system with a focus on automation and scalability.
We believe that you have
- Master or Bachelor’s degree from a university or college.
- Experience with Linux kernel development
- Experience with tools for debugging the Linux kernel, such as kgdb.
- Experience with embedded systems and products
- Experience with embedded Linux security
- Experience with bare-metal, RTOS, Linux, or other operating systems
- Experience with boot loaders such as U-Boot, Grub, BarBox, or others.
Experience with Bash and C programming
Being familiar with other programming languages such as C++, Python or Rust is a plus
- Being familiar with Yocto/OpenEmbedded or Buildroot is a plus
- Fundamental understanding of electronics and circuit diagrams
Employment type: Full-time
What do we offer?
- The opportunity to work with a highly skilled and adaptable team in a collaborative environment. We work together to solve everything from production, hardware, software development, marketing campaigns, company strategy, management, CRM, content production, and more.
- Rewarding and challenging tasks that you will see the direct results from.
- The opportunity to get involved in every step of creating a product used and valued by hundreds of thousands of customers across the globe.
- Career development opportunities with a focus on professional and personal development, either as a specialist in your chosen field, or a team leader. We understand as a fast-growing company both are crucial to our success.
- Highly competitive salary and pension plan
- A new Macbook/PC, reMarkable 2, choice of mobile phone, and home Wi-Fi allowance
- Five weeks vacation + 5 reMarkable days to use as you wish
- Premium health insurance (incl. physiotherapy and private medical consultations)
- Access to our employee share incentive scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Rewarding and challenging tasks on a wide range of projects
- Regular team events, parties, and off-site retreats
- A shared Headspace account for your mental well-being
- Career development opportunities as a leader or subject specialist
- Centrally-located modern offices in Grünerløkka, Oslo
- A unique opportunity to contribute to one of the fastest-growing tech scaleups in Norway
At reMarkable, we offer the opportunity to contribute towards building a global tech company. You'll join a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and be involved in every step of creating a product that's used and valued by hundreds of thousands of customers around the globe.
Besides robust career development and growth opportunities, we offer a workplace where everyone can influence the company's direction, story, and success. We're a committed and highly motivated team with a lot of love for what we do and the people that we work with.
Through collaboration, we create a generous, respectful, and supportive environment where people take the extra steps needed to help each other succeed as well as exceed expectations.
In reMarkable we have all disciplines gathered at the same location. You will be exposed to experts within application development, user experience, design, finance, marketing and logistics to name a few.
At reMarkable we offer a unique opportunity to contribute towards building a global tech company. You will join a fast-growing organization with passionate employees and lots of great social activities. We aim to offer a work environment where you will be challenged and that is centered around our core values of Curiosity, Dedication, and Generosity.
- Contact Ellinor Jacobsen, Recruitment Advisor, at email@example.com if you have any questions about the role
- Application Deadline: 31.10.2022
- You should have a valid work permit from the EU/EEA. (Relocation assistance is provided)
A reMarkable technology department
As a member of the embedded unit you will join a rapidly growing technology department in the heart of Oslo. Our goal is to create a world-leading embedded environment with expertise within all aspects of embedded software development.
For us, technology is about proactively meeting people's needs in an ever-changing world.
The technology department's mission is to solve impossible tasks and make the unthinkable possible. We create technology that not only describes our vision but makes us humans, better thinkers.
Our goal is to take the best of two worlds; the digital, and the analog, and create tools that increase learning, focus, and presence. We create consumer technology without digital distractions