Legal Counsel – Privacy, Tech and Consumer protection
Want to help millions of people think better?
reMarkable is a Norwegian tech company on a mission to help people all over the world to find focus in a distracted world. We recently confirmed our status as Norway's latest unicorn, with almost 400 employees in Oslo and more than a million devices sold worldwide. In what feels like no time, we've gone from a small startup finding its way to being one of the fastest-growing companies in Europe.
Following the successful launch of the reMarkable 2, which was named one of TIME's top 100 inventions of 2020, our subscription service Connect in 2021, and the Type Folio in 2023, we've set ourselves exciting growth and product development goals for the coming years. To help us get there, we need new colleagues ready to make a real difference through their work - and that's where you come in.
Are you ready to join the exciting growth of a truly unique tech brand?
About the role
The reMarkable Legal Team is looking for a new college with passion for privacy, tech and consumer data who thrives in a fast pace and highly ambitious environment.
As the company’s top-level privacy expert you will
- build and manage a comprehensive governance program to ensure compliance with data protection laws
- advise the organization on data protection and compliance risks
- review and negotiate data processing agreements
- perform legal assessments (DPIAs, transfer impact assessments etc.)
- initiate, facilitate and deliver internal awareness training and workshops on e.g. consent management, privacy-by-design
- identify regulatory changes and developments to ensure continuous compliance with data protection requirements
In addition, you will also
- perform legal assessments, advice and train the organization on marketing related questions
- draft and advice on consumer related contracts, including terms and condition for reMarkable’s products and services
- continuously strive to identify and implement legal department tools to streamline new or existing practices
- collaborate with cross-functional teams including sales, support, service business development, regulatory, IT, and finance, as well as various business units
The position represents an excellent opportunity to make a substantial contribution to a dynamic and thriving international business, covering a wide range of responsibilities and legal challenges at a multi-national level. The successful candidate will be an exceptional and creative problem solver, applying sound business and legal judgment in equal amounts.
Employment type: Full-time
Who are you
You hold a law degree from a reputable university and have 5-10 years of post-
qualification experience, including:
- at least 5 years’ experience working in the field of data protection in an in house position and/or top-tier law firm
- solid knowledge of international data protection legislation (the GDPR,
ePrivacy directive etc.) and hands-on experience with advising on data
protection and consumer laws
- expertise on implementing consumer data privacy controls and operational procedures
Proven expertise in two or more of the following areas:
- drafting, reviewing and negotiation of commercial contracts
- marketing and consumer protection laws
- cyber security regulation
- intellectual property
- employment law
Skills and attributes
- Strong commercial awareness and proven ability to quickly understand business, regulatory and contractual issues and how they relate to legal risks in general
- Good understanding of different types of technology
- Ability to influence stakeholders across all levels within the organization
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, able to solve complex tasks in a legally accurate yet pragmatic and timely manner
- Outstanding communication skills in English (both verbal and written), able to
convey complex legal concepts and arguments in simple words for an audience of non-lawyers
- Able to effectively handle a number of small and large projects simultaneously
What do we offer?
Highly competitive salary and pension plan
A new Macbook/PC, reMarkable 2, choice of mobile phone, and home Wi-Fi allowance
Five weeks vacation + 5 reMarkable days to use as you wish
Premium health insurance (incl. physiotherapy and private medical consultations)
Access to our employee share incentive scheme
Flexible working hours
Rewarding and challenging tasks on a wide range of projects
Regular team events, parties, and off-site retreats
A shared Headspace account for your mental well-being
Career development opportunities as a leader or subject specialist
Centrally-located modern offices in Grünerløkka, Oslo (moving to our brand new campus located at Majorstua in Q1 2024)
A unique opportunity to contribute to one of the fastest-growing tech scaleups in Norway
At reMarkable, we offer the opportunity to contribute towards building a global tech company. You'll join a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and be involved in every step of creating a product that's used and valued by hundreds of thousands of customers around the globe.
Besides robust career development and growth opportunities, we offer a workplace where everyone can influence the company's direction, story, and success. We're a committed and highly motivated team with a lot of love for what we do and the people that we work with.
Through collaboration, we create a generous, respectful, and supportive environment where people take the extra steps needed to help each other succeed as well as exceed expectations.
Contact Laila Myksvoll at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the role
We are reviewing applications continuously
You should have a valid work permit from the EU/EEA. (Relocation assistance is provided)